Monday, April 20, 2009

CLAM SHELL DRIVEWAY

Last Saturday I purchased a dozen little neck clams from George's Fish Market on Route 28 in Harwichport, Mass on Cape Cod. After cooking up the clams I throw the clam shells on a small portion of my stone covered driveway by my enclosed porch as shown in the picture on the left. I later crush up the shells by stepping on them. I have joked with the people at the fish market when purchasing the little neck clams that I am gradually building a crushed shell driveway a dozen clam shells at a time.

At a cost of $4.80 per dozen this driveway area will be quite expensive and take many years to complete as I generally purchase a dozen clams at most once a week. However, I think it is a good idea to use the clam shells in this manner instead of just throwing them into the garbage.

Small steps such as this can add up if enough people do the same thing and reduce the amount of trash that they generate day to day.

No comments:

Post a Comment